IvyWise By The Numbers
How do you measure success?
At IvyWise, success is ensuring our students reach their personal and academic goals. Success isn’t about getting into the most selective college – it’s about helping students get into the right college for them, where they’ll be successful and happy.
IvyWise has proven results: In 2016, 92% of IvyWise students were accepted into one or more of their three top-choice schools.
In our 19 years of counseling thousands of students, only four – less than 1% – have ever transferred (compared to the national estimated transfer rate of 33%).
IvyWise families are thrilled with their student’s success and share the great news: Over half were referred by previous clients or are relatives of previous clients
IvyWise students are not just in New York City: 74% are outside of the New York metro area and 31% of our students are international.
Our students are at the heart of everything we do.
We help students find the schools that will be a good fit for them academically and socially, where they will be happy and thrive.
Average Acceptance Rates
Our History of Success
Students accepted to one or more
of their top three choice schools
We are so thrilled with [our student’s] success. [Our counselor] was an outstanding and wise counselor. I have spoken to [our student] some about the process and the one point she made which stands out in my mind is how [our counselor] made a highly stressful process not stressful. She kept [our student] on track with her timeline. Without [our counselor] it would never have happened. We felt [our student] was in very experienced and capable hands, whatever the outcome. Most importantly I felt that [our counselor] really got to know [our student] so well and understood her as a unique human being irrespective of the process. Making these applications requires much self-reflection and maturity. [Our student] was able to ride the journey with equanimity and a rock solid sense of her own self worth. I feel so blessed that [our student] had so many amazing choices. But getting off the Harvard wait list was truly the icing on the cake and I do believe it will be the right place for her. I have so much gratitude from the bottom of my heart for [our counselor] and IvyWise.
I am so amazed at the help that [our counselor] provided us during our experience with IvyWise. She and all of the staff were so welcoming and encouraging. I can't say enough good things about [our counselor]. Remy’s first meeting lasted about an hour and a half, and was just with Remy and [our counselor] and Remy said it was so informative and really put her on the fast track of ideas of how to do everything. I feel blessed to have worked with [our counselor] as well. She is a beautiful person inside and out, so giving and encouraging. She told me all of the things I had to do to receive the best possible financial aid, as I needed it. She really listened to me. I didn't want Remy at a huge school, or an extremely far school! I want to thank all of the staff at IvyWise for helping Remy in her journey. I am so proud of her. She is indeed a bright young girl, and I feel she got into so many great schools with the help of IvyWise and am so glad that she decided on The College Of the Holy Cross; it's the perfect fit for her. I will surely love to tell any parent with youngsters approaching college that they would truly benefit from using IvyWise. Once again thank you for making the transition from High School to college so smooth.
[Our IvyWise counselor] has been an absolute pleasure to work with. He has made this process so stress free. He was extremely thorough and insightful. I can't thank him enough for that.
We would like to thank IvyWise for all the guidance in making this possible. [Our son] had a great experience working with [his IvyWise counselor] and learned a lot, like interview and writing skills.
Dr. Kat and her team were incredibly helpful in all aspects of the college admissions process. They helped with my college list, standardized testing, essays (with dozens of revisions), and more. With IvyWise, I was admitted into many excellent institutions, including UC Berkeley…Thank you, IvyWise!
I have so much to say about the IvyWise experience, but if I had to sum it up in one word, I would cry: WOW. Unlike most IvyWise clients, I learned about this program/organization pretty late in the application process. I started in December with no clue what to write about for my personal statement, no idea what were my universities’ requirements, and unbearable stress....Thanks to the availability and dedication of my counselor, I gathered all necessary materials on time. I felt like I exactly knew what I was doing for once. The college process, which has always seemed like an unsolvable puzzle, was now becoming more and more clear to me. In my university choices, I was given useful advice and liked the fact that I always had the last word. I never felt like I was pushed to select a university I didn’t appreciate...my wants and needs were put ahead in order to choose universities that perfectly matched my person, in terms of size, location, programs etc. Thanks to IvyWise, I will be spending the next four yours of my life in New York City (NYU). I also got into most of my other choices, which are also really prestigious universities: GW, Northeastern, BU, University of Miami and University of California San Diego! The outcome of this experience clearly exceeded my expectations.
I would just like to thank you again for all the help you've given me to get me here but also to [my client relations specialist] and the whole IvyWise team for all their suggestions and support. I think the whole process was very thorough and well designed from the Initial Consultation to the organizing of the school choices to submitting the applications. I didn't really know what to expect before coming in contact with [my counselor] but it soon became clear that [my counselor] was very knowledgeable, professional and can give me a lot of assistance and advice during the difficult process of applying for colleges. Additionally, the round-table feature with other counselors was also a highlight for me because I thought it was a practical way of simulating the reactions of admission officers to my application material so it was really helpful. Overall, I owe a lot of my successes in receiving offers from schools to the help of [my counselor] and the whole IvyWise team.
I just wanted to take the time again to thank you for all your help in guiding me through the admissions process. All the time and hard work has finally paid off with the acceptance, and I only have you to thank for it. After advising me on all the extracurricular activities, course selection essays, and more, I understand how much you contributed to the strength of my application. It is a huge relief getting in, and I look forward to relaxing a bit and enjoying my senior year.
Student C and her mother did not know how to approach the college admissions process when they first came to IvyWise. Her mother was not from the United States and was unaware of all of the steps in the application process. Furthermore, Student C did not know how to demonstrate her talents and interests in the sciences.
- Domestic student with international parents
- Unaware of how to navigate the US college admissions process
- Interested in science, but wasn't sure how to demonstrate STEM interest to colleges
- Began working with IvyWise prior to entering high school
- 8th Grade Initial Consultation
- 40 Hour Freshman Program
- Harvard University
- Yale University
- Princeton University
How IvyWise HelpedStudent C's IvyWise counselor explained all aspects of the college admissions process to Student C and her mother. Through her program with IvyWise, Student C worked with her counselor and tutors to:
- Choose rigorous high school courses that matched her interests in the sciences and humanities.
- Create a testing schedule consisting of relevant standardized tests. Student C took four SAT Subject Tests: Biology, Math II, Chemistry, and Spanish with Listening.
- Take IvyWise's SAT/ACT diagnostic. By doing this, Student C learned that the SAT was a better fit for her than the ACT.
- Increase her SAT score by 260 points through her work with IvyWise tutors.
- Understand how she could make an impact outside of the classroom, using her interest in science. For example, Student C's school did not provide research opportunities for students, so IvyWise helped Student C find summer programs that matched her interests and allowed her to showcase her talents.
- Research, select, and apply to 12 schools, a range of great-fits that included reach, target, and safety schools.
- Craft a personal statement about Student C's independent science research and how spending summers across the country immersed her in a new culture and allowed her to gain independence.
AcceptedStudent C was accepted to Harvard University, Class of 2014.
Student J came to IvyWise upon the recommendation of a family friend. He had participated in his high school’s “Boot Camp” program, but his parents were concerned because they did not think his essay reflected his unique character and personality. Student J’s SAT scores and high school course load also failed to match his artistic and academic capabilities. Additionally, Student J had done minimal research to find the schools that would fit him best academically and socially.
- Previously participated in his high school's college app "Boot Camp"
- Interested in the arts and humanities, but had trouble developing his interests in high school
- SAT scores did not match his academic capabilities
- Needed help identifying schools that fit his specific interests in philosophy
- 12th Grade Initial Consultation
- 12 Hour Senior Program
- Bard College
- Brown University
- Rhode Island School of Design
How IvyWise HelpedStudent J came to IvyWise upon the recommendation of a family friend. He had participated in his high school's "Boot Camp" program, but his parents were concerned because they did not think his essay reflected his unique character and personality. Student J's SAT scores and high school course load also failed to match his artistic and academic capabilities. Additionally, Student J had done minimal research to find the schools that would fit him best academically and socially. Through his program with his IvyWise counselor, Student J was able to:
- Define his interests in art and Buddhism, allowing him to express himself properly in his extracurriculars and college essays.
- Create an independent philosophy curriculum that led to his decision to pursue a philosophy major in college.
- Utilize test prep and test-taking strategies that helped Student J raise his SAT score by 170 points in just one month of tutoring.
- Brainstorm essay topics that suited his personality. He settled on an essay on how Buddhism affected his perception of the world.
- Work with his counselor to improve his interpersonal and interview skills for meetings with college deans, instructors, admissions officers, and alumni.
- Develop a suitable list of reach, target, and likely schools through careful research and an appropriate application timeline in order to maximize his chances of admission. This allowed Student J to apply to his top-choice school in the early round.
AcceptedStudent C was accepted Early Action to Bard College, Class of 2014.
When Student M first came to IvyWise, her main concern was writing “The Essay.” In her Initial Consultation, Student M’s counselor explained the US process at length, and how the application essays were just one part of her applicant profile.
- International student studying in the US
- Bilingual (spoke Spanish in the home)
- Interested in science and chemistry
- Wanted to improve her SAT and ACT scores
- Needed guidance writing college essays
- Needed help identifying extracurricular activities to showcase her interest in STEM
- 11th Grade Initial Consultation
- 18 Hour Junior Program
- Research Services
- Georgetown University
- Tufts University
- Barnard College
How IvyWise HelpedWhen Student M first came to IvyWise, her main concern was writing "The Essay." In her Initial Consultation, Student M's counselor explained the US process at length, and how the application essays were just one part of her applicant profile. Through her program with her IvyWise counselor, Student M was able to:
- Identify ways to present her best self and write personal, compelling supplements without sacrificing the quality of her personal statement.
- Plan a challenging course load with her counselor, focusing on classes that matched her interests, such as AP Physics C.
- Set grade and test score goals that would help her stand out in the application process, particularly in her challenging STEM courses.
- Develop a realistic testing schedule, and identify studying and test prep methods that would help improve her grades and test scores.
- Make a habit of weekly teacher visits to identify which teachers would be the best to approach for recommendation letters.
- Identify different extracurricular activities, such as the Chemistry Olympiad, she could participate in as a way to showcase her interest in science and chemistry.
- Establish a plan of action for her applications in order to maximize her chances of admission, leading her to apply Early Decision to her top-choice school.
AcceptedStudent M was accepted Early Decision to Barnard, Class of 2018.
As an international student, Student V needed assistance understanding the US admissions process. Her extracurricular activities also lacked focus, and she needed help selecting the right courses that aligned with her interests in business and history
- International Student
- English-learning Student
- Interested in business and history, as well as international studies
- Needed help developing her extra-curricular activities
- Needed help with SAT and ACT prep, a well as TOEFL
- Unsure about where she wanted to apply
- 11th Grade Initial Consultation
- 35 Hour Junior Program
- Columbia University
- New York University
How IvyWise HelpedAs an international student, Student V needed assistance understanding the US admissions process. Her extracurricular activities also lacked focus, and she needed help selecting the right courses that aligned with her interests in business and history. In her program with her IvyWise counselor, Student V was able to:
- Plan a challenging course load and develop a standardized testing schedule.
- Work with IvyWise's expert tutors to identify which standardized test best suited her needs and establish realistic score goals and a comprehensive tutoring plan.
- Identify new extracurricular activities, like Model UN and National Honor Society, to help her develop her interests and stand out. Student V also became involved in non-profit work and international activities.
- Identify a summer program at Georgetown University that helped her expand her interest in business.
- Created grade goals for her courses and a plan to achieve those goals.
- Write detailed, compelling essays for her college application that drew on her personal experiences as a multiracial international student.
- Gain insightful feedback on her progress and her application essays during the Roundtable Review process.
- Develop a strategic application plan in order to maximize her chances of admission.